Friday, March 1, 2013

Children of Paradise (1945)


IMDb summary: This tragic tale centers around the ill-fated love between Baptiste, a theater mime, and Claire Reine, an actress and otherwise woman-about-town who calls herself Garance. 
Directed by Marcel Carné. Stars Arletty and Jean-Louis Barrault.

Children of Paradise is split into two distinct halves and, sadly, they are not equally good. The first half is fascinating, charming, and original, while the second half devolves into a very traditional story of tragic and lost love that undoes everything good set up by the first half. I found myself strongly disliking my favorite characters more and more as I watched the second act. Extremely disappointing after I enjoyed the first half so much. 2 stars.

Flickchart: #1062 out of 1873, below Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex... and above Three Days of the Condor.

No comments: