Thursday, March 14, 2013

Liberal Arts (2012)


IMDb plot summary: When 30-something Jesse returns to his alma mater for a professor's retirement party, he falls for Zibby, a college student, and is faced with a powerful attraction that springs up between them.
Directed by Josh Radnor. Starring Josh Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen and Richard Jenkins.

I mildly enjoyed Josh Radnor's debut, Happythankyoumoreplease, but this movies is more cohesive, more focused, and has less obviously "quirky indie" dialogue, with the exception of Zac Efron's weird cameo character. (I enjoyed it, I just thought it didn't fit in at all with the rest of the movie.) It's a satisfying ride, although I don't think I'm going to remember much about it in 6 months. I hope Josh Radnor continues to write and direct, because if his next effort is to this as this is to Happythankyoumoreplease, he could end up with something I really, really love. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #676 out of 1883, below Charlie St. Clou dand above The Man Who Wasn't There.

No comments: