Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chasing Amy (1997)


IMDb plot summary: Holden and Banky are comic book artists. Everything's going good for them until they meet Alyssa, also a comic book artist. Holden falls for her, but his hopes are crushed when he finds out she's a lesbian.
Directed by Kevin Smith. Starring Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, and Joey Lauren Adams.

The only other Kevin Smith movie I've seen was Mallrats, which I hated. And I mean HATED. It's the very lowest-ranked movie on my Flickchart, below awful flicks like The Pacifier and The Santa Clause 3 and even the Star Wars Holiday Special.

So I was a little surprised that I didn't mind this one.

Now, it wasn't all smooth. The movie meanders from topic to topic, and I loathe Jay (of Jay and Silent Bob) with every fiber of my being. But he's only in the movie for about 5 minutes, and the rest of the time it focuses on mostly-decent human beings dealing with things in a confused, but trying-to-be-a-grown-up-about-it kind of way. I found Ben Affleck to be a much more interesting character here than he usually is, and the scene where he confesses his love for Alyssa is great - very moving. It's not a great movie, but it's pretty okay, and that was more than I was expecting.

Flickchart: #923 out of 1897, below Punch-Drunk Love and above Martha Marcy May Marlene.

No comments: