Saturday, March 23, 2013

There's Something About Mary (1998)


IMDb plot summary: A man gets a chance to meet up with his dream girl from high school, even though his date with her back then was a complete disaster.
Directed by Peter and Bobby Farrelly. Starring Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller,and Matt Dillon.

Aside from Ben Stiller being a very likable lead, there's not really much to enjoy about this movie for me. It's not even the gross-out comedy here, which most people would object to. It's how ridiculously over-the-top it all is. As an example: every single scene with the dog. Every single joke they made about the dog, whether it was sedated and accidentally set on fire or hyped up and attacking visitors, was so drawn out and ridiculous that it just made me roll my eyes and think, "Really?" And that's pretty much how most of the movie made me feel. There were one or two good moments, and I appreciated the heart behind the movie, but the Farrelly brothers and I are on pretty different pages when it comes to comedy, it seems. 1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1269 out of 1893, below Get Smart and above Eagle Eye.

No comments: