Friday, March 22, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Quick blog note: Sorry for the many posts today and yesterday. I neglected this blog all throughout February and March, and I wanted to get my most recent reviews available on here. Everything should be up to speed now. On to your regularly scheduled movie blog.


IMDb plot summary: A chronicle of the decade-long hunt for al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden after the September 2001 attacks, and his death at the hands of the Navy S.E.A.L. Team 6 in May 2011.
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. Starring Jessica Chastain. And some other people, but pretty much just her.

Jessica Chastain was the most interesting part of this movie. Had she not infused the story with the energy and the passion she did, I suspect I would have been really bored. As it was, I felt connected because her character was connected... until the end, when for some reason all the emotional connection was completely severed. The scene raiding the mansion, the identifying of bin Laden's body, the aftermath... it all felt very cold to me. I'm not sure if this is me personally distancing myself from the event or what.

As a result, I'm not sure exactly what to think of this movie. It's fine, I guess. Well-crafted and well-acted. Maybe the real event is just something that's too recent in my personal history for me to get into a story retelling of it. I don't know. Maybe I should revisit this again in like 10 years. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #928 out of 1890, below Con Air and above The Crazies.

No comments: