Monday, March 11, 2013

Red River (1948)


IMDb plot summary: Dunson is driving his cattle to Red River when his adopted son, Matthew, turns against him.
Directed by Howard Hawks and Arthur Rosson. Starring John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.

Spoilers ahead.

Well, this movie thoroughly confused me. The first half hour I was just struggling to get into it as a western (probably my least favorite movie genre). Then, halfway through, the movie took an interesting turn when the characters split up... and then proceeded to follow the least interesting character. Then, at the end, it comes down to a showdown between the two, and we get an extremely, extremely abrupt ending. It felt inconsistent at best and thoroughly ridiculous at worst.

One thing I will say about it, though. It had a few moments throughout where I was struck for the first time by John Wayne's acting. Usually I find him extremely one-dimensional, but he had a few moments here and there where I thought, "That was an excellent way to portray that." If only the script hadn't been 3/4 boring and 1/4 confusing. 1 star.

Flickchart: #1480 out of 1878, below On the Town and above Dracula.

No comments: