Friday, January 17, 2014

The Cowboys (1972)


IMDb plot summary: When his cattle drivers abandon him for the gold fields, rancher Wil Andersen is forced to take on a collection of young boys as his drivers in order to get his herd to market in time to avoid financial disaster. The boys learn to do a man's job under Andersen's tutelage, however, neither Andersen nor the boys know that a gang of cattle thieves is stalking them.
Directed by Mark Rydell. Starring John Wayne and Roscoe Lee Browne.

This movie was given to me by my friend Abbie for my 2014 movie quest... and all I can say is, I'm sorry, I tried SO HARD to like it. Abbie suggested to this knowing full well that westerns in general don't sit well with me, so hopefully she won't be *too* surprised or devastated to learn that this one didn't take either. I just can't get myself to care about cowboys and cattle drives and riding horses for long periods of time. This movie felt interminably long, there were far too many characters for me to keep track of (I wasn't supposed to remember any of those kids individually, right? Because I don't), and I just couldn't get invested in any of it. This was not The Western That Changed My Mind. But I know some other people have assigned me some westerns throughout the year, so maybe one of them will click and then I can revisit this one. 1 star.

Flickchart: #1728 out of 1990, below Whatever Works and above The Ant Bully.

Rent it on Amazon for 1.99.

No comments: