Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Apollo 13 (1995)


IMDb plot summary: Three astronauts must devise a strategy to return to Earth safely after their spacecraft undergoes massive internal damage.
Directed by Ron Howard. Starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise and Ed Harris.

Am I losing my taste for space-based dramas? Between this and The Right Stuff, I don't seem to be enjoying them as much as I hope. That being said, I wasn't at all *bored* by this, the way I was with The Right Stuff. It was a good ride throughout the run of the movie (the nearly 2 1/2 hour run time zoomed by), but when it finished I felt oddly let down on an emotional level. I still haven't quite put my finger on what about it didn't measure up for me, but it's like I can almost feel the movie slipping from my mind and refusing to be something I'll remember. It's an odd feeling, and I do recognize this is an extremely not-professional review ("this movie feels weird!"), but the technical aspects of the movie are all solid, so all I can do is address the fact that *something* was off emotionally for me... even if I'm not sure what. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #789 out of 1981, below The Hunt for Red October and above Away From Her.

Rent it on Amazon for $2.99.

No comments: