Saturday, January 18, 2014

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)


IMDb plot summary: Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love.
Directed by Benh Zeitlin. Starring Quvenzhané Wallis and Dwight Henry.

Quvenzhané Wallis is the heart and soul of this movie. Talk about an impressive performance from such a young actress. Her character Hushpuppy has such a strong voice throughout the whole movie, whether she's just standing there quietly observing or screaming and arm-wrestling. If this exact same story had been told from the point of view of one of the adults, I anticipate I would have found it okay, but I wouldn't have loved it NEARLY as much as I did this.

And I did love it. It was beautiful and captivating and sad and fantastic and probably my favorite of the Best Picture nominees from that year. (Silver Linings Playbook is its only real competition.) Thanks to Hushpuppy and Quvenzhané's amazing portrayal of her, I was completely sucked into the story. Incredible movie. 4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #227 out of 1991, below Footloose (1984) and above American Psycho.

Buy a digital copy for $2.99 on Amazon.

No comments: