Thursday, January 2, 2014

Midnight Cowboy (1969)


IMDb plot summary: A naive male prostitute and his sickly friend struggle to survive on the streets of New York City.
Directed by John Schlesinger. Starring Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight.

I feel like I was supposed to get a whole lot more of this than I did. While I was very drawn to Dustin Hoffman's Rico character, I was thoroughly uninterested in Jon Voight, whose character remained at the center of the story. When the gritty realness of the story broke for dreamlike flashbacks or fantasy sequences, I wasn't sure what I was meant to take from any of them, and they just felt out of place. Overall, I wish more time had been spent on Rico and less on Joe. I was not crazy about this one. 2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1321 out of 1977, below It's Always Fair Weather and above The Professional.

No comments: