Thursday, January 30, 2014

Silent Movie (1976)


IMDb plot summary: A film director and his strange friends struggle to produce the first major silent feature film in forty years.
Directed by Mel Brooks. Starring Mel Brooks, Marty Feldman, and Dom DeLuise.

I am all over the place when it comes to Mel Brooks. I LOVE The Producers, HATE Spaceballs and Robin Hood: Men In Tights, am mostly indifferent to Young Frankenstein and like Blazing Saddles pretty well. So I really had no clue how I would feel about this one. It turned out nicely though. I probably like it about as well as Blazing Saddles, if not just a tiny bit better. I may not have laughed out loud a lot during it, but I smiled through most of it. The slapstick gags are a good mix of traditional slapstick and Brooks' own brand of absurdity, and the jokes work most of the time, at least for me. And, of course, all the different cameos are great fun. Overall, quite enjoyable. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #647 out of 2009, below Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and above Collateral.

Buy it on DVD from Amazon.

No comments: