Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Gridiron Gang (2006)


IMDb plot summary: Teenagers at a juvenile detention center, under the leadership of their counselor, gain self-esteem by playing football together.
Directed by Phil Joanou. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Jade Yorker, David V. Thomas, and Setu Taase.

I'm not much for inspirational sports dramas, much less those based on true stories, but every once in awhile there will be one that is told well enough that it elevates itself above the rest. This... is not one of them. There is nothing original, new, or interesting here, just a lot of very tired cliches. None of the actors are engaging enough to make me care about their characters. I could predict almost to the moment what was going to happen next - except that the switch from "not-team" to "team" was oddly abrupt. I have to admit I zoned out through nearly the entire final game. Why bother watching if you know exactly how it's all going to pan out? This may appeal to people who have a fondness for the genre - just like I may still enjoy predictable cliche-ridden musicals - but it didn't work for me at all. 1 star.

Flickchart: #1828 out of 2007, below Spaceballs and above The Long Goodbye.

Buy a digital copy for $7.99.

No comments: