Monday, January 6, 2014

Send Me No Flowers (1964)


IMDb plot summary: A hypochondriac thinks he's dying this time, and makes plans for his wife which she discovers and misunderstands.
Directed by Norman Jewison. Starring Rock Hudson, Doris Day, and Tony Randall.

Well, this was absolutely the wrong script for Rock Hudson and Doris Day. They're so sincere and sweet, and the script is dark and morbidly funny. The end result is incongruous and confusing. I just kept thinking how much funnier if it would be if, for example, instead of Rock Hudson, Jack Lemmon played the lead. And then I got sad because I didn't have Jack Lemmon, I had Rock Hudson, and as a result the movie kind of falls apart. The supporting cast is decent, though, and all my laughs came from them. Overall, a very disappointing flick. 1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1315 out of 1980, below A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy and above The Bourne Identity.

Rent it on Amazon for $2.99.

No comments: