Monday, July 7, 2014

The Wedding Singer (1998)


IMDb plot summary: Robbie, the singer and Julia, the waitress are both engaged to be married but to the wrong people. Fortune intervenes to help them discover each other.
Directed by Frank Coraci. Starring Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Christine Taylor, and Allen Covert.

I had the same reaction to this that I had to Happy Gilmore: that it was a good movie ruined by Adam Sandler and his stupid face. If there WAS ever going to be a movie that should make me not hate Adam Sandler, it would probably be this one. He's painted as a genuinely nice person, and if I didn't just instinctively hate him SO MUCH as an actor, I would probably have REALLY enjoyed this. It's a good story, a fun soundtrack, and I like Drew Barrymore much more in this than I have in anything else. So I think I'll stick with the musical, which keeps the story but will always have a leading man I find more likeable than Adam Sandler, because that is everyone in the world. It gets a medium ranking but would probably have gotten much higher with alternate casting.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #844 out of 2169, below Memoirs of a Geisha and above Downfall.

No comments: