Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lucky Number Slevin (2006)


IMDb plot summary: A case of mistaken identity lands Slevin into the middle of a war being plotted by two of the city's most rival crime bosses: The Rabbi and The Boss. Slevin is under constant surveillance by relentless Detective Brikowski as well as the infamous assassin Goodkat and finds himself having to hatch his own ingenious plot to get them before they get him.
Directed by Paul McGuigan. Starring Josh Hartnet, Bruce Willis, Lucy Liu, and Morgan Freeman.

(Some spoilers ahead.)

I was really surprised by this. Crime movies usually don't do anything for me, but this was a funny, entertaining story with a great cast -- Josh Hartnett especially brought a lot of charm to the role. The twist genuinely surprised me, which doesn't happen very often, and I found the ending very satisfying. This is another example of a movie I'd never have watched on my own but really ended up enjoying.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #660 out of 2162, below Panic Room and above Le samourai.

No comments: