Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Deep Blue Sea (1999)


IMDb plot summary: Searching for a cure to Alzheimer's disease a group of scientists on an isolated research facility become the bait as a trio of intelligent sharks fight back.
Directed by Renny Harlin. Starring Thomas Jane, Saffron Burrows, Samuel L. Jackson, and Jacqueline McKenzie.

(Some spoilers ahead.)

I don't think I was supposed to laugh at this movie nearly as much as I did, but really, how am I supposed to take it seriously? The instant the sharks attacked, it went into slow-mo with someone across the room yelling, "Noooooooooooooooo!" That really only happens in action movie parodies these days. The occasional sudden crew deaths really came out of NOWHERE, so instead of being shocking and terrifying, it just made me crack up laughing. I do find sharks and the ocean genuinely scary, so I was hoping for some good scares, but instead I got an unintentionally hilarious movie. Then again, maybe I just can't take shark movies seriously anymore after having seen Sharknado and Mega Shark...

1 star.

Flickchart: #1769 out of 2174, below Cold Mountain and above Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

No comments: