Monday, July 7, 2014

Pom Poko (1994)


IMDb plot summary: A community of magical shapeshifting raccoons desperately struggle to prevent their forest home from being destroyed by urban development.
Directd by Isao Takahata. Starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Clancy Brown, Maurice LaMarche, and Andre Stojka (in the English version).

(Mild spoilers about the tone of the ending.)

I REALLY liked this one. When it started, I was not so enthused because I don't tend to like movies about animals, but this movie painted such a vivid picture of the raccoons' story that it was impossible not to get wrapped up in it. I found the ending very moving and darkly beautiful. This is definitely one of my favorite Studio Ghibli flicks.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #434 out of 2170, below The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and above The Pirates of Penzance.

No comments: