Saturday, July 5, 2014

Away We Go (2009)


IMDb plot summary: A couple who is expecting their first child travel around the U.S. in order to find a perfect place to start their family. Along the way, they have misadventures and find fresh connections with an assortment of relatives and old friends who just might help them discover "home" on their own terms for the first time.
Directed by Sam Mendes. Starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph.

I'm not sure I entirely *got* this movie, but I think I liked it. Each set of characters was interesting in a different way, just as a road trip movie should be. The movie's sense of humor was just perfect -- subtle but very real. Where I felt like it fell down a little was in crafting our main characters. Despite giving the minor characters interesting and complex characterization, I struggle to understand the main two for the majority of the flick. This is one that may deserve a rewatch someday, though, because I feel like a second viewing really might clear things up. Conclusion: Liked it, didn't love it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #627 out of 2159, below Shaolin Soccer and above Guys and Dolls.

No comments: