Friday, July 25, 2014

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)


IMDb plot summary: An oddball journalist and his psychopathic lawyer travel to Las Vegas for a series of psychedelic escapades.
Directed by Terry Gilliam. Starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.

There's a quote about a third of the way through the movie that says: "What was I doing here? What was the meaning of this trip? Was I just roaming around in a drug frenzy of some kind? Or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?"

And I'm tempted to just leave the quote there as the entire review, because that's pretty much how I felt about the movie. I've never been much for, like... trippy stoner movies, and I felt like this was always JUST on the verge of having an actual story and an actual point, only to then... not have one. The characters are pretty loathsome and icky, and the trippiness is clearly the *point* of the movie, rather than the means to something else.

I LOVE some of Terry Gilliam's stuff (The Fisher King in particular), but admittedly, the more surreal he gets, the less I like him. I'm glad I finally saw this -- it's been on my "list of shame" for quite awhile -- but I was definitely not a fan.

1 star.

Flickchart: #1784 out of 2183, below Life With Father and above The Waiting Game.

No comments: