Monday, July 21, 2014

Her (2013)


IMDb plot summary: A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.
Directed by Spike Jonze. Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, and Rooney Mara.

Right from the opening scene, I knew I was going to fall in love with this movie. It sets up a compelling sci-fi near future, a sympathetic cast of characters, and a quirky but fascinating love story. It's one of those movies that I have a lot of trouble talking about because I liked it so much on a very instinctive level. There were several moments where I found myself tearing up because I connected so deeply to the characters and the things they were struggling with. This is definitely my favorite of the 2013 Best Picture nominees thus far (though I have yet to see Dallas Buyers Club), and I'm glad I finally sat down and watched it.

4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #269 out of 2181, below The Wizard of Oz and above Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway.

No comments: