Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summer Wars (2009)


IMDb plot summary: A student tries to fix a problem he accidentally caused in OZ, a digital world, while pretending to be the fiancé of his friend in her grandmother's 90th birthday.
Directed by Mamoru Hosoda. Starring Ryûnosuke Kamiki, Nanami Sakuraba, Mitsuki Tanimura, and Takahiro Yokokawa.

(Major spoilers ahead for the ending of the movie.)

Well, this is certainly not what I expected this movie to be, but I liked it a lot. Like a lot of anime, the characters are a little awkward to connect to sometimes because the reactions are so different from what I would do in real life. ("Granddaughter lies about having a boyfriend" is outrageous and insane, while "We have to play a card game to keep a crazed A.I. from crashing a satellite into a nuclear reactor" is accepted as inevitable news.)

That aside, though, I found this to be an engaging and interesting flick. The score is incredible -- if it's for sale anywhere, I definitely want it. The story is also a very interesting one, with a satisfying conclusion. Pretty fun!

4 stars.

Flickchart: #652 out of 2187, below The Mummy (1932) and above It's Kind of a Funny Story.

No comments: