Saturday, February 11, 2012

Happy Gilmore (1996)

This movie has an entertaining premise, some funny dialogue, some good gags... you know what would make it genuinely funny? If Adam Sandler wasn't completely detestable. I told someone awhile back that I hated Adam Sandler, but when I told them the movies of his I'd seen, they protested, "Oh, well, you haven't seen the GOOD ones, then," and told me to watch this one. So I decided to give it one more shot. But, nope, turns out I really do hate him and his characters. He's so difficult to root for. If ANYBODY else had played this role, I think I would have really enjoyed this, but as it is, I spent the whole time hoping the "bad guy" would win. 1.5 stars for the movie that could have been.

Best Part: It really does have some very funny lines. I particularly liked when they were yelling rhyming threats at each other in the bar.
Worst Part: Seeing Adam Sandler get angry isn't funny. It's annoying. And there's a lot of that in this movie.
Flickchart: #1104, below Joe Versus the Volcano and above It's Complicated.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I went with a friend to see Down Periscope 15 March 1996, largely because we were fans of Kelsey Grammar from Cheers. We left having managed about three laughs between the two of us. It remains one of the least enjoyable movies I've endured.

On our way out of the theater, some classmates were going in to see Happy Gilmore. I resisted because it didn't appear to be my brand of movie at all, but I decided to take a chance and bought a ticket and went in with them.

I'm glad I did, because I genuinely enjoyed Happy Gilmore. Now, I can't say to what extent it's because Down Periscope had lowered the bar that night, or that the Gilmore crowd was really into it (laughter is infectious, you know). What I do know is that I left the theater that time having enjoyed myself.

Also...no mention of Bob Barker? Really?