Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hugo (2011)

(These next couple are predated. They've been written March 3, but I saw the movies in February, and I want them to be counted with the February films. So that's what's up.)

Hugo impressed me more as a technical masterpiece than as an emotional piece of filmmaking. There are a few very nice moments, but overall I never really connected with the story or the characters. However, it LOOKS gorgeous, and I'm always a sucker for beautiful-looking movies. It's unlikely to stick in my memory for very long, but if I think about it, I definitely enjoyed it while I was watching it. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: There are a lot of really nice scenes, but I think my very favorite was the first one where the Station Inspector is trying to approach the flower seller. It's a beautifully shot moment that captures without words that feeling of not being good enough for someone.
Worst Part: The whole 3D thing was used well here, but it made me pretty headachey during some of the quick-moving parts.
Flickchart: #474, below Closer and above Spider-Man 2.

No comments: