Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Tree of Life (2011)

Well, this is a difficult movie to rank. I *wanted* to love it, but it didn't captivate me the way I was hoping. There were a few absolutely breathtaking visual moments, but I didn't really connect to most of the themes. The switch back and forth between story and poetic visuals was a little jarring - I almost wish it had been all one or all the other. The Tree of Life is an incredibly ambitious film, and I admire it, but it misses the mark for me and never quite connects. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: I loved the music. Loved it. Especially during the ending, and the creation of the world sequence. The music was what made it all beautiful.
Worst Part: Couldn't have cared less about Sean Penn's existence in the film. He mostly disappeared after the first 30 minutes anyway and didn't add much to the movie while he was there.
Flickchart: #468, below Flushed Away and above Dan in Real Life.

No comments: