Monday, February 20, 2012

War Horse (2011)

War Horse is not a great movie. It has some nice moments, but overall it is very cheesy, the dialogue is silly, and it pulls every cheap emotional manipulation trick in the book. And... I'm extremely ashamed to admit it worked on me. Despite myself, I kept getting drawn into the emotion of the moment, even when it was surrounded by overdramatic music, cheesy dialogue, and rain during every single uber-emotional scene. EVERY SINGLE ONE. So. The more I think about this, I really shouldn't have enjoyed it at all. But somehow it worked, and I ended up having a pretty good time. So it ends up falling among my "extremely guilty pleasures" movies... the ones I enjoyed in spite of themselves. 3 stars.

(Spoilers in this section.)
Best Part: The scene between the British and German soldier as they tried to free Joey was fascinating.
Worst Part: The ending where Albert finds Joey again. He hears about the "miracle horse," decides it's his (for no reason except just a hunch), and tries calling him. Then, with no reason to think that the horse has even responded to his call, he wanders through the camp blindly looking for it. I really hope he's been doing this with all the horses he knows of during his entire time in the army. That would be the most hilarious thing ever. Anyway. What a silly, silly ending. I actually laughed out loud in the theater.
Flickchart: #690, above Marnie and below Easy Virtue.

No comments: