Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Fifth Element (1997)

I do enjoy sci-fi, but the world this movie created for me made very little sense. It had a few interesting sci-fi elements to it, and one or two interesting plot moments, but it was all intermingled with these bizarrely campy characters and silly dialogue. Maybe I was supposed to let go and let it just *be* campy, but I never really got to that point so I didn't really enjoy it much at any point. 2 stars.

Best Part: I really loved the slow-moving aliens in the opening sequence. I don't know why. Most interesting creatures in the whole movie.
Worst Part: The sudden "humanity isn't worth saving" crisis at the very end that can only be cured with love. Sheesh.
Flickchart: #969, below The Mummy (1932) and above Tarzan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was kind of "meh" about it in 1997. I revisited it on DVD two years ago, though, and found I enjoyed it more. So, y'know, give it about a decade and come back to it.

Unknown said...

Aw, I love this movie. Yeah, it's a total campfest and it kind of breaks down at the end (and Chris Tucker is kind of insufferable), but how can you deny Milla and her MOOLTIPASS? Or Bruce Willis as a meat popsicle? Or the WTFery of the pop opera musical performance? Or Gary Oldman's OTT everything? Or, or, or...