Monday, February 20, 2012

Moneyball (2011)

There's nothing particularly *wrong* with Moneyball, but there's nothing that arresting about it either. It's a sports movie, with most of the usual sports movie stories. It does vary a little bit in being about the economics and the strategies behind *choosing* the teams, rather than focusing on the gameplay itself, so that has some interesting aspects to it. However, the overall atmosphere and story arc of the movie is very familiar. Fairly well done, but it's not going to stick in my mind. Whenever I try to name the Best Picture nominees this year, this is one of the ones I always, always forget. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Brad Pitt does a good job with this. His character is easily the most interesting part of the whole thing. Not sure it's good enough for an acting nom, but I haven't seen that many movies this year, and it is good, so maybe it's one of the best ones out there this year.
Worst Part: I kept thinking it was over, and then it wasn't. Ultimately I liked the ending, but in the meantime I kept getting frustrated because I felt like the story was done.
Flickchart: #841, below Hancock and above The Great Mouse Detective.

No comments: