Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Artist (2011)

When I saw this, it played right before Midnight in Paris, which was a wonderful double feature - both movies about preferring the past to the future. The Artist is not quite as charming as Midnight in Paris, but it does come pretty close. It tells a very dynamic story in a silent medium. It looks and sounds beautiful, bringing the idea of silent films into a new era. (I don't remember who, but I heard someone muse that The Artist might regenerate the silent film in Hollywood, much the way Unforgiven did for westerns. We shall see. If they all are as well-done as this one, I'd be completely okay with that.) 4 stars.

Best Part: That wonderful scene in the dressing room where sound suddenly invades his life.
Worst Part: The long section around the 3/4 mark featuring George's depression lagged quite a bit for me. I loved the first half and the ending, but that section didn't work for me.
Flickchart: #350, below A Night at the Opera and above Super 8.

No comments: