Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Help (2011)

This is a fine little movie. I enjoyed it while I was watching it, although it's really hard to shake the feeling that I'm watching something on Lifetime. It certainly wasn't anything that blew me away. Writing this review a week after watching it, I remember it as being acceptably entertaining, but nothing that grabbed my attention and held it beyond the closing credits.

(Incidentally, I think all the questions people have raised about the way it deals with racism are valid ones. I haven't ever been a victim of that kind of thinking so I'm not really allowed to make the call on whether or not this movie is offensive, but I think it's probably good that people are discussing that.) 2.5 stars.

Best Part: The acting was indeed really good. It was what made this movie enjoyable for me.
Worst Part: I'm still just bored by femalecentric films. I hardly ever relate to any of the characters, and that is certainly true here. Women like me just don't really exist in the movie world.
Flickchart: #596, below Million Dollar Baby and above The Dresser.

No comments: