Saturday, February 25, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)

Walking into this movie, I did NOT expect to respond to it the way I did. I didn't know much about it, but the little I knew made it sound like something I wouldn't particularly like. What makes it something special is the main character, Oskar, one of the most sympathetic child characters I have ever seen on screen. His journey is interesting because *he* is interesting. I have always identified with characters struggling with their fears, especially social fears, so Oskar was incredibly relatable for me, and made the movie what it was. 4 stars.

Best Part: The moment where Oskar tells the Renter his story. It's just... good.
Worst Part: It is rather a ludicrous plot. I would probably have rolled my eyes at the ending if I hadn't been so emotionally invested by that point.
Flickchart: #272, below The Fountain and above Sense and Sensibility.

No comments: