Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Crying Game (1992)


IMDb plot summary: A British soldier is kidnapped by IRA terrorists. He befriends one of his captors, who is drawn into the soldier's world.
Directed by Neil Jordan. Starring Stephen Rea, Jaye Davidson, Forest Whitaker, and Miranda Richardson.

(Some spoilers ahead, although I deliberately kept it vague.)

Hmm. This was definitely an interesting one. While I'm not sure the story as a whole worked for me, I was completely fascinated by the character of Dil, who starts off as this supremely confident, unfazed-by-anything personality, only to fall apart as the story goes on and end up a slightly stalkerish person begging through their tears for their lover not to leave them. I did know about the famous plot twist before I watched it (that was a brilliantly done reveal, by the way -- maybe my favorite individual moment of the movie, although, er, it would be a really bad idea to make that my choice for my Movie Screenshots album on Facebook) but, honestly, that twist was less interesting to me in the overall arc of the story than just watching how Dil responded to the relationship. I didn't love this movie, but it was certainly well made, and it was an interesting watch.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #668 out of 2141, below Divided We Fall and above Intolerable Cruelty.

No comments: