Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cannibal! The Musical (1993)


IMDb plot summary: The sole survivor of an ill-fated mining expedition tells how his taste for gold was replaced by that of human flesh.
Directed by Trey Parker. Starring Trey Parker, Toddy Walters, Jason McHugh and Matt Stone.

I've never seen South Park, but I'm a huge fan of Trey Parker and Matt Stone's work on The Book of Mormon, so it's not a huge surprise that I liked this fairly well. The last 20 minutes or so are pretty light on jokes and not terribly interesting, but the first hour and a half mostly makes up for that, as there were a LOT of moments where I laughed out loud. It's got a lot of entertaining musical parodies -- I especially love the recurring theme that is this movie's version of "Oh What a Beautiful Morning." This movie is definitely not going to appeal to everyone, but I enjoyed it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #537 out of 2142, below Lethal Weapon and above Bandits.

No comments: