Tuesday, June 3, 2014

About Last Night... (1986)


IMDb plot summary: A man and woman meet and try to have a romantic affair, despite their personal problems and the interference of their disapproving friends.
Directed by Edward Zwick. Starring Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, James Belushi, and Elizabeth Perkins.

This was based on a play by David Mamet that I've never read, and now I very much want to read it for comparison, because I'm often impressed by Mamet but was unimpressed with this. The opening almost-monologue was well-written and smart (I wouldn't be surprised if that came almost directly from the play -- it SOUNDS like Mamet), but the rest was uninspired, uninteresting, and never really worked for me. I did find the ending very interesting and pleasant, and if I had cared about the characters much at all at that point, I think I'd really like that. Unfortunately, I didn't. Not my favorite.

1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1474 out of 2145, below JFK and above Waltz With Bashir.

No comments: