Friday, June 6, 2014

Revengers Tragedy (2002)


IMDb plot summary: This modernised adaptation of Thomas Middleton's celebrated play from 1607 tells the story of a man whose wife is murdered on their wedding day and his desire to exact revenge on the murderer.
Directed by Alex Cox. Starring Christopher Eccleston, Eddie Izzard, Derek Jacobi, and Carla Henry.

There were parts of this movie I REALLY loved. The score is intriguing and dramatic and I love it, and there are some really striking visuals. The problem is that when I watched it, the sound mixing was WAY distracting. The score frequently was too loud for the dialogue. I'm not sure if that was a problem with the specific copy I watched, or if it was just mixed like that, but between that, the fairly thick accents, and the archaic language, I frequently had trouble actually hearing and understanding what the characters were saying. As a result, it was really tough to follow the story. There were enough entertaining visuals that I mostly enjoyed it anyway, but I may have to read the play, get familiar with the general story outline, and then come back and rewatch this again some day.

2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1091 out of 2146, below Spellbound (1945) and above The Fourth Kind.

No comments: