Saturday, June 7, 2014

Waitress (2007)


IMDb plot summary: Jenna is a pregnant, unhappily married waitress in the deep south. She meets a newcomer to her town and falls into an unlikely relationship as a last attempt at happiness.
Directed by Adrienne Shelly. Starring Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Jeremy Sisto, and Cheryl Hines.

(Very vague spoilers ahead about how it ends.)

I found this extremely, extremely charming. Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion are both very likable, and Jeremy Sisto is very unlikable (something I would have thought I could never say after seeing him in Suburgatory). The humor is very human and very real -- something a lot of rom coms strive for but fail to achieve. What I think I liked best about this, though, is that it didn't go at all the way I expected at the end, but it managed to keep the tone all the way through, and when it finished, I felt it was a thoroughly satisfying watch. This was a good one.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #451 out of 2147, below Contagion and above The Dictator.

No comments: