Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Joy Luck Club (1993)


IMDb plot summary: The life histories of four Asian women and their daughters reflect and guide each other.
Directed by Wayne Wang. Starring Ming-Na Wen, Tamlyn Tomita, Lauren Tom, and Rosalind Chao.

I'm a bit of a sucker for stories where there are multiple characters with multiple plotlines. Big ensemble casts draw me in, and this is a very, very well-done one. Each one of the stories is interesting, and the mother-daughter interactions are fascinating to watch. It's one of thos movies that is just very EASY to watch, because everything is so well-crafted that I don't ever find myself drawn out of the story with awkward dialogue or clumsy acting. I can just sit back, watch, and enjoy. Good stuff.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #367 out of 2154, below Blue Jasmine and above Gravity.

No comments: