Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Eve's Bayou (1997)


IMDb plot summary: Summer heats up in rural Louisiana beside Eve's Bayou as the Batiste family tries to survive the secrets they've kept and the betrayals they've endured.
Directed by Kasi Lemmons. Starring Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Meagan Good, Samuel L. Jackson, and Lynn Whitfield.

This kept reminding me of Beasts of the Southern Wild. Both set in the same general area of the country, both seen through a child's eyes, both with an odd mix of gritty reality and fantasy. This one took me a little while to get into, but by the time the credits rolled, I was really engaged in the story. I'm not sure I'd call it amazing -- there are a few moments that veer over into melodrama and take me out of the story -- but I think it was pretty solid and I would certainly recommend it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #573 out of 2137, below sex, lies and videotape and above Primer.

No comments: