Friday, May 9, 2014

The Matador (2005)


IMDb plot summary: A globetrotting hitman and a crestfallen businessman meet in a hotel bar in Mexico City in an encounter that draws them together in a way neither expected.
Directed by Richard Shepard. Starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, and Hope Davis.

Well, I will definitely say this: All the posters I see for this movie are incredibly misleading. They paint it as some sort of gritty crime flick when it's really more of a quirky friendship movie. There ISN'T a lot of grit here, and that's okay -- it was interesting and refreshing to me.

It doesn't work all the way through for me, and I'm not *entirely* sure yet what was unsatisfactory to me about that ending, but Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear hold most of it together with some really solid and entertaining performances. It's a good thing the movie focuses so heavily on their interactions, because that's where the best parts are, rather than, say, complicated plotting or twists. Though I'm still musing on it now and as such it might end up further down my chart than it might deserve, I feel like this is one that will hold up pretty well the longer I sit with it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #816 out of 2129, below Clueless and above Now You See Me. Clueless is too low on my list, I think.

No comments: