Monday, May 12, 2014

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (2010)


IMDb plot summary: Jesse meets Ethan, someone she could finally fall in love with, but then she meets Troy, and now she has a dilemma.
Directed by Daryn Tufts. Starring Alyssa Milano, Christopher Gorham, Michael Landes, and Tom Lenk.

(Some generic spoilers ahead about the ending.)

This was... just okay. It has a pretty interesting plot, even if I did find the ending twist a little gimmicky and not great for actual emotional resolution of the story. My main problem with it, though, was that the main girl really doesn't have much of a personality -- certainly not one that's at all fleshed out. You only really need to do ONE thing to have a successful romance movie: create an interesting/likable couple that have chemistry together. The guy was great fun, but the girl... I'm not sure I could tell you even a single personality trait of hers. His literary agent even had a more defined character, and she was only on screen for like 3 minutes. This meant, unfortunately, that I spent most of the flick hoping he'd ditch the love of his life and find someone more interesting. Giving her a better personality could have made this movie much more interesting. As it was, I was unimpressed.

2 stars.

Flickchart: #1210 out of 2130, below The Shop Around the Corner and above Over the Hedge.

No comments: