Sunday, May 18, 2014

Godzilla (2014)


IMDb plot summary: The world's most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.
Directed by Gareth Edwards. Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and Sally Hawkins.

This is definitely a movie I'm glad I saw in theaters. The monsters look great on the big screen, and I don't think I would have been nearly as impressed watching them on my TV or my computer. In fact, the effects are engaging enough that they kept me interested throughout the whole movie. The plot itself is pretty straightforward, and none of the characters are particularly interesting, but really, in the end, it's just about watching a bunch of cool-looking monsters fight each other, and this movie delivers that very nicely.

I heard a lot of complaints that Godzilla himself isn't in the movie as much as people wanted, but the other monsters he's fighting are in there a LOT and are just as interesting to look at (possibly even more). Then when Godzilla does show up, there's more than enough action to make up for the slower build.

I'm not sure I'd want to sit down and watch this again, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as an afternoon viewing. I'd definitely recommend seeing this in theaters, though. It won't be nearly as fun anywhere else.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #621 out of 2136, below 21 Jump Street and above Signs.

No comments: