Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Inkheart (2008)


IMDb plot summary: A young girl discovers her father has an amazing talent to bring characters out of their books and must try to stop a freed villain from destroying them all, with the help of her father, her aunt, and a storybook's hero.
Directed by Iain Softley. Starring Brendan Fraser, Eliza Bennett, Paul Bettany, and Andy Serkis.

I think I read the book of this back in high school, but I'm not entirely sure. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I had much the same reaction: that it was a potentially interesting story with flawed execution. My main issue with this is that there's no real character development. It's a fairly fun plot, but none of the non-literary characters are given much of a personality, so it's hard to invest in the story much. The actress who plays the young girl is also pretty bad, though that's balanced out some by the much more entertaining actors around her, like Jim Broadbent, Brendan Fraser, and Paul Bettany.

Nice idea, but in the end it didn't really work for me.

1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1549 out of 2138, below The Good Doctor and above 30 Minutes or Less. This may be lower than it should be.

No comments: