Monday, January 1, 2024

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody (2022)

IMDb plot summary: A joyous, emotional, heartbreaking celebration of the life and music of Whitney Houston, one of the greatest female R&B pop vocalists of all time, tracking her journey from obscurity to musical super stardom.
Directed by Kasi Lemmons. Starring Naomi Ackie, Stanley Tucci, and Ashton Sanders.

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody is a musical biopic of Whitney Houston's musical career. It follows her from her early breakthrough, to her relationship with Bobby Brown, to her substance abuse issues, to her untimely death. The music numbers all use Houston's original vocals with actress Naomi Ackie lip syncing along to them. Like so many biopics, this tries so hard to fit every aspect of Houston's life in that it fails a little bit as a narrative because it can't quite cohere them into something with a thematic throughline. And of course that's because life itself doesn't have a thematic throughline, but it still makes me wish I'd watched a documentary about Houston's life rather than this somewhat lifeless interpretation of her work. In fact, it did the one thing that a good documentary about Houston's life should absolutely do, which was make me want to go and actually listen to Houston's music. There's a not a lot to be gained from dramatizing it the way it is here. It's a harmless biopic primarily but it's also an uninteresting one.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < The Blues Brothers
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody > Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < Outbreak
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody > Follow Thru
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody > Teacher of the Year
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < Adventures in Babysitting
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody > Red Notice
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < V/H/S
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody > The Man Who Came to Dinner
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < The Kid Who Would be King
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody < Coraline
Final spot: #2479 out of 3836, or 35%.

No comments: