Sunday, January 14, 2024

Cradle Will Rock (1999)

IMDb plot summary: A true story of politics and art in the 1930s U.S., focusing on a leftist musical drama and attempts to stop its production.
Directed by Tim Robbins. Starring Hank Azaria, Emily Watson, and John Turturro.

Cradle Will Rock is a historical drama about the 1937 musical production Cradle Will Rock, a leftist pro-union show that was abruptly shut down before its transfer to Broadway. The film follows the production up through its opening night, as well as highlighting several other events that, while not strictly accurate in terms of historical timeline, help to paint a picture of a general attitude surrounding art and politics in the 1930s.

I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going into it, and having seen it, my main question is, "WHY had nobody recommended this to me before?!" A movie about the power of musical theater is already basically tailor-made for me, let alone the political commentary. I'm a little stunned I didn't know about it! While the soul-stirring final performance of the musical is the movie's highlight, I really love all the little stories we have running throughout. In perfect ensemble drama fashion, each one hits its essential narrative pieces without ever overstaying its welcome, and we get completely delightful performances in smaller roles -- Vanessa Redgrave is my personal favorite. That ending musical performance takes up a good chunk of the film's runtime, but it well deserves it, and it helps everything hit home. While we'll see if it wows me as much on a rewatch, I was thoroughly delighted with this movie on my first viewing, and I'm so glad I finally got to see it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Cradle Will Rock > Arthur Christmas
Cradle Will Rock > Dark Passage
Cradle Will Rock > The White Tiger
Cradle Will Rock > Dead Ringers
Cradle Will Rock < The Philadelphia Story
Cradle Will Rock < Mirai
Cradle Will Rock > Hot Fuzz
Cradle Will Rock > Speed
Cradle Will Rock < Dial M for Murder
Cradle Will Rock > Schindler's List
Cradle Will Rock < Room
Cradle Will Rock > A Quiet Place
Final spot: #190 out of 3858, or 95%.

No comments: