Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A Jazzman's Blues (2022)

IMDb plot summary: Follows an investigation into an unsolved murder unveiling a story full of forbidden love, deceit and a secret.
Directed by Tyler Perry. Starring Joshua Boone, Amirah Vann, and Solea Pfeiffer.

A Jazzman's Blues tells the story of an African American man in the South in the 40s who flees the vengeful white lawmen of his town and ends up becoming an acclaimed jazz performer in a nightclub. I'm pretty sure this is my first Tyler Perry movie, and it's definitely got a distinctive feel that reminds me of a cross between presentational theater and schlocky CW dramas. While I love my fair share of those, I couldn't quite settle into this vibe, though. I kept being put off by the soap opera-style dramatic revelations and how expository all the dialogue was. It does have some really enjoyable musical numbers, though, and I kept feeling myself *just* on the edge of enjoying it for real in its own unique flavor. It definitely makes me want to watch more Perry films and see if a little more exposure can help me settle into it and have a good time with it, even if this one didn't quite do the trick for me.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Jazzman's Blues < Arthur Christmas
A Jazzman's Blues < Goldfinger
A Jazzman's Blues > Cocktail
A Jazzman's Blues > The Blue Dahlia
A Jazzman's Blues > The Cocoanuts
A Jazzman's Blues < BASEketball
A Jazzman's Blues > Find Me Guilty
A Jazzman's Blues < The Shaggy Dog (1959)
A Jazzman's Blues > The Lorax (1972)
A Jazzman's Blues > Man of the Year
A Jazzman's Blues > Jane Eyre (1996)
A Jazzman's Blues < Gladiator
Final spot: #2960 out of 3843, or 23%.

No comments: