Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Henry V (1944)

IMDb plot summary: In the midst of the Hundred Years' War, the young King Henry V of England embarks on the conquest of France in 1415.
Directed by Laurence Olivier. Starring Laurence Olivier, Robert Newton, and Leslie Banks.

Henry V is a 1940s adaptation of the Shakespeare play of the same name, starring Laurence Olivier as King Henry. The plot is a pretty straightforward war story, but it's the set design and technical details that set this one apart. The first act is set up as if it is a filmed live performance within Shakespeare's Globe Theater itself, complete with audience reactions to the jokes and occasional glimpses of backstage shenanigans. However as the story goes on, the sets become more and more realistic and leave that gimmick behind. I almost wish that it had spent the entire movie in that gimmick because it was by far the most interesting piece of it. Granted, I'll admit that I really don't like this play very much to begin with; I find it tedious and with nothing for me to grab onto narratively. Because of that, it was exciting for me to initially see a unique take on it. And the entire film is steeped in these gorgeous Technicolor designs and Hughes that absolutely makes it beautiful to look at. It's probably just my own fault that this is not the show to win me over, but I did love looking at those sets and costumes.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Henry V < The Blues Brothers
Henry V > Beauty and the Bestie
Henry V < No Highway in the Sky
Henry V > Follow Thru
Henry V > Rancho Notorious
Henry V < Adventures in Babysitting
Henry V < Hal King (what an interesting combo there)
Henry V > Double Jeopardy
Henry V > Nowhere Boy
Henry V < Mud
Henry V < Buffalo Soldiers
Henry V < Marry Me
Final spot: #2492 out of 3832, or 35%.

No comments: