Wednesday, January 3, 2024

OMG!: Oh My God (2012)

IMDb plot summary: A shopkeeper takes God to court when his shop is destroyed by an earthquake.
Directed by Umesh Shukla. Starring Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar, and Mithun Chakraborty.

OMG: Oh My God is an Indian movie about an atheist storekeeper who loudly denounces his faith in God, only for his shop to be destroyed in an earthquake. The insurance company won't pay out since it's considered an act of God, so he goes to court to argue that either the insurance company or God himself should pay to replace his shop. (And along the way, God actually shows up.) This is actually kind of a fascinating look at a very religious society that is not the one I grew up in but certainly shares some similarities, and it examines how easy it is for those in power to use religion as a way to take advantage of people in need. It's easy to root for our main character as he fights against the greedy leaders, and every win he gets *feels* like a win. Even when the supernatural actually makes its way into the story, it's very much reinforcing the idea that the best aspects of religious groups are about helping those in need, which is very close to my own personal faith beliefs. I say all this as if the movie is some kind of deep treatise on faith and religion, when mostly it's just a fun lighthearted courtroom comedy -- which it does pretty well. But there's also some deeper food for thought in here.

How it entered my Flickchart:
OMG: Oh My God > The Gray Man
OMG: Oh My God < The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
OMG: Oh My God > Dan in Real Life
OMG: Oh My God < Batman Returns
OMG: Oh My God > Logan
OMG: Oh My God > Joe Versus the Volcano
OMG: Oh My God < Up in the Air
OMG: Oh My God < Under the Skin
OMG: Oh My God < Evita
OMG: Oh My God < The Pirate Movie
OMG: Oh My God < There Will Be Blood
OMG: Oh My God < Nine to Five
Final spot: #1259 out of 3837, or 67%.

No comments: