Monday, January 1, 2024

Certain Women (2016)

IMDb plot summary: The lives of three women intersect in small-town America, where each is imperfectly blazing a trail.
Directed by Kelly Reichardt. Starring Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart, and Laura Dern.

Certain Women is a movie following a group of three women who all have loose connections and showing us them going through their lives, encountering career battles and love life battles. On the surface this seems like something that I would really be into, but the slice of life format that this leans into means that none of the stories have an arc that I find satisfying or interesting. I get that they're all intended to be unresolved, but it made it hard for me to connect with the film. I also don't entirely get why these three particular women were grouped together to tell their stories. I can't quite find the right thematic throughline to make sense of the three of them together. This is the kind of movie that some folks will absolutely fall in love with, but it left me a little cold in the end.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Certain Women < The Blues Brothers
Certain Women > National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Certain Women > Outbreak
Certain Women > Avengers: Infinity War
Certain Women > Smokin' Aces
Certain Women < True Romance
Certain Women < Christine
Certain Women < Dogtooth
Certain Women > The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini
Certain Women > Broken Embraces
Certain Women < The Wailing
Final spot: #2024 out of 3831, or 47%.

No comments: