Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Train Man (2005)


IMDb plot summary: The supposedly true story of a 23-year-old otaku (Japanese geek) who intervenes when a drunk man is harassing several women on a train. The otaku ultimately begins dating one of the women, and posts on a website asking for advice every step of the way.
Directed by Shôsuke Murakami. Starring Takayuki Yamada, Mika Nakatan, Ryôko Kuninaka, and Eita. 

It has been so long since I've seen a really great romantic film. This was a really great one. It did everything a romance should -- it was heartwarming and gooey and delightful and I got so attached to the characters. I also loved how it set up online friendships as being super valid and helpful but not a substitute for real world interactions. This is a really wonderful movie and I'm so sad that it's so difficult to find. It took me forever to locate it, but I'm so glad I did.

5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Train Man > Pulp Fiction
Train Man > Sweet Smell of Success
Train Man > Melancholia
Train Man > Roman Holiday
Train Man < Desk Set
Train Man > The King's Speech
Train Man < Inception
Train Man > Forrest Gump
Train Man > Holes
Train Man > Spider-Man

Final spot: #111 out of 2795. Whoa.

No comments: