Sunday, May 6, 2018

Isle of Dogs (2018)


IMDb plot summary: Set in Japan, Isle of Dogs follows a boy's odyssey in search of his lost dog.
Directed by Wes Anderson. Starring Bryan Cranston, Koyu Rankin, Edward Norton, and Bob Balaban.

Well, this is very Wes Anderson, meaning I can enjoy quite a bit as I watch it (and I did) and then it will fade very, very quickly from my memory. Anderson's quirkiness puts a bit of necessary emotional distance between the movie and the audience. I'm also unsure that setting it in Japan was much more than a quirky gimmick, which is a little uncomfortable. Overall, an enjoyable movie but it isn't going to make much of a lasting impact on me.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Isle of Dogs > In Time
Isle of Dogs < Baby Driver
Isle of Dogs > The Village
Isle of Dogs > Source Code
Isle of Dogs < Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Isle of Dogs > Blazing Saddles
Isle of Dogs > You Can't Take It With You
Isle of Dogs < Six Degrees of Separation
Isle of Dogs > Mr. Holmes
Isle of Dogs < Monsoon Wedding
Final spot: #795 out of 2776, which is a bit too high but it'll do for now.

No comments: