Sunday, May 6, 2018

Akira (1988)


IMDb plot summary: A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psychic psychopath that only two teenagers and a group of psychics can stop.
Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. Starring Mitsuo Iwata, Nozomu Sasaki, Mami Koyama, and Tessho Genda.

My husband chose this movie for me for my movie challenge, even though he hadn't seen it himself, as an incentive for us to watch it together. I'm not sure how he felt about it, but I'm still processing it. The animation is really lovely, which is nice because I frequently have difficulty registering and following the anime style, but most of this is expressive enough that I can follow it. Most of the story is fascinating and very well told, and I was definitely swept up into the story. Where it actually becomes difficult to grasp for me is in the final 30 minutes or so, when the climactic scene just keeps getting more intense but somehow never delivered the narrative or emotional punch I wanted it to end with. I enjoyed most of it, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the ending. But it's one I think I need to keep thinking about.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Akira > In Time
Akira > Sweet Smell of Success
Akira < Garden State
Akira < Tropic Thunder
Akira < Evil Dead II
Akira < Boyhood
Akira > The Departed
Akira < Red Carpet
Akira > Serendipity
Akira < Jackie Brown

Final spot: #666 out of 2777.

No comments: